Monday 26 January 2015

Maya Tutorials: More Camera Tricks

    I did not fully realise that I had not uploaded this video made for the pitch shot tutorial. It was quite a surprising method as while Superman looks like he's flying, in Maya he is in fact falling with the camera moving fast enough to catch his descent towards an unseen ground.

    It is interesting what kinds of effects that can be generated when a frame of reference (such as sky or clouds or the sun) are not included. Superman is in a blue void so he could have been going forwards, backwards, up or down, it's all to do with the camera.

    The major bit of video-making today was a multi-shot scene where the footage from five different cameras was playblasted (rendered as-seen in Maya's workspace) and then cut up up and sewn together in Adobe Premier Pro. I used recording sequences of the entire film but this is a technique I should probably keep to playblasting. When it ever comes to fully rendering I imagine it's best to know what clips you want so as to generate as little waste time and footage as possible, which I partially tried here as I made sure to include all five cameras.

    I was sorely tempted to find a way of including a caption of "Drive safe, drive careful" while slowly zooming towards the red car driver's face because of how long the camera focused on him staring at the viewer at the end.

   Here's another example of the camera playing tricks on the viewer: A dual combination of moving the camera forward and narrowing the focal length to give the impression that the corridor is extending backwards in some supernatural way.

    Last-off, today's progress log. I was hampered by a slight incident of Maya crashing when I was preparing to make a Quicktime movie of the crash-angle camera, and because I didn't save I had to rebuild the sequence. Fortunately this was after playblasting the distant cam in the first two log frames so there was only one sequence I truly lost with little record.

No comments:

Post a Comment